This vegetarian stuffed butternut squash recipe options wild rice, lentils, contemporary mushrooms, kale and cranberries and makes the proper addition to your vacation desk.
Desk of Contents
This stuffed roasted butternut squash makes scrumptious essential course or aspect dish for holidays or on a regular basis, particularly served with the zesty parsley salsa verde.
It appears to be like lovely on a Christmas or Thanksgiving desk and although there are a number of steps concerned, general it’s a straightforward recipe and may even be ready upfront to avoid wasting time.
Stuffed squash is the last word wholesome consolation meals and positive to be cherished by the entire household. It’s heat, nourishing, satisfying, flavourful and so scrumptious.
- Butternut Squash: You’ll want a big, roughly 3 lb squash. You possibly can additionally use 2-3 giant acorn squash or different winter squashes (not spaghetti squash) for another. If you happen to can’t discover a bigger squash, 2 smaller ones work. You can too use 5-6 small squashes to make particular person servings that are enjoyable for serving.
- Maple Syrup: This may be substituted with agave syrup.
- Kale: I like kale over different leafy greens on this recipe however you’ll be able to substitute child spinach, Swiss chard or collard greens if wanted.
- Wild Rice: You need to use wild rice or a wild rice mix. If you happen to can’t discover these, white rice or brown rice are additionally appropriate or you possibly can substitute quinoa or couscous for a variation.
- Inexperienced Lentils: Remember to use brown or inexperienced lentils. This recipe shouldn’t be appropriate for purple lentils.
- Mushrooms: White, shitake or cremini mushrooms work. You need to use a spread for extra depth of taste.
- Shallot: Shallot is very nice on this recipe however you possibly can use white or purple onion in a pinch.
- Cranberries: If you happen to can’t discover dried cranberries, raisins would work however tart cranberries work finest right here.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Use toasted pumpkin seeds if you’ll find them, in any other case uncooked pumpkin seeds (pepitas) work, or you possibly can use slivered almonds, pecans or walnuts. These could be blended into the filling or sprinkled on prime.
Please see the recipe card on the finish of the submit for the entire ingredient listing with measurements.
Variations & Serving Concepts
There are many enjoyable methods to customise this recipe. Listed below are some concepts:
- Curried Stuffed Squash: Omit the thyme and bay leaf and add 2 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne whenever you add the kale.
- Apple: You possibly can add 1 peeled and diced apple whenever you begin cooking the mushrooms. This may be added as a substitute for cranberries or an addition to the recipe. Inexperienced apples like granny smith work effectively however any apple selection can be utilized.
- Tacky: For further taste and creaminess within the filling or for serving, you’ll be able to sprinkle the completed stuffed squash with vegan parmesan cheese, feta cheese or goat cheese or combine as much as 1/4 cup into the stuffing.
- Tahini Sauce: As an alternative of the salsa verde, the squash would even be yummy drizzled with this lemon maple tahini sauce or miso tahini sauce.
- Gravy: Serve with mushroom gravy or miso gravy as a substitute of the salsa verde.
- Savory Herbs: Contemporary sage and rosemary make a pleasant addition. Attempt including 1 tbsp of both of them together with the the thyme and oregano.
- Beans: Attempt including 1/2 cup chickpeas or black beans to the filling for added texture.
- Vegan Sausage: So as to add vegan sausage, brown it within the pan earlier than cooking the shallot and mushroom. Take away from the pan after which combine into the filling whenever you combine every part up.
There are a number of steps to the recipe, but when learn it over earlier than you begin, you need to have an excellent grasp of the stream so you’ll be able to hold issues transferring and environment friendly.
For the complete written recipe you’ll want to scroll all the way down to the recipe card.
Step 1: Roast the butternut squash.
For the roasting course of, lower the underside and prime of the squash off so you’ve gotten a flat floor on both finish.
Place the backside half of the squash in your slicing board and thoroughly lower it in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds out from inside the squash and discard.
Rub the squash flesh with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the maple syrup, season with salt and black pepper and place it lower sides down on a big baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Roast the squash for 35-45 minutes, flipping over midway by way of, till the flesh is tender when pierced with a fork. The baking time will range relying on the dimensions of squash used.
Step 2: Prepare dinner the rice and lentils.
Convey the rice, inventory and bay leaf to a boil in a medium pot, then cowl and cut back to medium-low warmth.
Prepare dinner for 15-20 minutes, then add the lentils and prepare dinner for an additional 20 minutes, till the rice and lentils are tender. If there may be any remaining liquid you’ll be able to drain that off and discard the bay leaf.
Be aware that for those who’re utilizing a special grain similar to white rice or quinoa, it received’t want the additional cooking time that wild rice does, so you’ll be able to add the lentils and grain on the similar time.
Step 3: Prepare dinner the greens.
Whereas the rice is cooking, warmth the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a big skillet over medium warmth.
When the pan is sizzling, add the shallots and mushrooms. Season them with a pinch of salt and pepper and prepare dinner for 5-7 min, stirring sometimes till softened and golden-brown.
Add the garlic, thyme, kale and dried cranberries and prepare dinner for 2-4 min, stirring usually, till the kale is tender.
Add the white wine or extra inventory and prepare dinner for 1 min, stirring usually and scrapping any brown bits off the underside, till the liquid has evaporated.
Step 3: Combine the filling.
Switch the kale-mushroom combination to a giant bowl and add the cooked rice and lentils.
Combine the dressing elements collectively in a small dish till mixed, then add that as effectively and blend every part up.
Step 4: Stuff the squash.
As soon as the squash is completed roasting, rigorously scrape a spoon down the “neck” of the squash, eradicating a few of the flesh, to create more room for the filling.
Roughly mash the eliminated squash into the bowl with the rice combination.
Spoon the rice combination into squash halves and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds.
Pop the squash again within the oven for 5-10 minutes to warmth by way of.
Step 5: Elective parsley salsa verde.
The parsley salsa verde is optionally available however makes a wonderful addition to the ultimate dish.
If you happen to’d prefer to make it, add the shallot and vinegar to a bowl and let it sit for a couple of minutes, then add the remainder of the elements and blend effectively.
Serve on the aspect to spoon over your squash.
As soon as the squash comes out of the oven, sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve with the salsa verde.
Storing & Making Forward
If you happen to’re making this the day forward for a vacation meal, I’d recommend roasting the squash and making the filling the day earlier than and storing them individually.
About Half-hour earlier than serving, add the filling to the squash and reheat within the oven for 20-Half-hour at 350 F till heated by way of.
If you happen to’re making the salsa verde, it’s finest ready shortly earlier than serving, although the shallots and chopped up a number of hours upfront.
Leftover stuffed squash could be saved within the fridge in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. Leftovers are scrumptious reheated within the microwave or oven for a fast lunch or dinner.
Did you do this recipe? I’d love to listen to about it! Scroll all the way down to the remark part to depart a star ranking and overview.
This stuffed butternut squash makes a fantastic presentation for a meatless vacation essential or aspect however is fantastic anytime of yr for a wholesome, comforting meal.
- 1 giant butternut squash (3 lb/ 1365 g or 2.88lb/1155 g after slicing and deseeding)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (15 g)
- 2 tbsp oil, divided (30 g)
- ¾ cup wild rice mix (145 g) – I used Lundberg Wild Mix
- ½ cup inexperienced lentils (100 g)
- 2 ½ cups vegetable inventory (591 mL)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups mushrooms, diced (170 g/6o z)
- 2 shallots, finely diced (98 g/⅔ cup)
- 3 clove garlic, minced or grated (18 g/1 tbsp grated)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups packed kale, chopped (58 g)
- ¼ cups dried cranberries (30 g)
- ¼ dry white wine or vegetable inventory (60 mL)
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds (35 g)
- ⅓ cup parsley, chopped (8 g)
For the Dressing
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
For the Parsley Salsa Verde (Elective)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (55 g/scant ½ cup)
- ¼ cup purple wine vinegar (60 mL)
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped (34 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (6 g)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ⅛–¼ tsp chili flakes
- ⅓ cup olive oil (78 mL)
- beneficiant pinch of salt
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put together Squash: Minimize the stem aspect and backside aspect of squash so you’ve gotten a flat floor on both finish. Place the underside half of the squash in your slicing board, then rigorously lower in half lengthways. Use a spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Rub squash with 1 tbsp oil and drizzle with 1 tbsp maple syrup. Season effectively with salt and pepper. Place lower aspect down on the ready baking sheet.
- Roast Squash: Roast on the center rack within the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, flipping midway by way of, till flesh may be very tender when pierced with a knife.
- Prepare dinner Rice and Lentils: To a medium pot, add wild rice mix, vegetable inventory and bay leaf. Convey to a boil. As soon as boiling, cowl and cut back warmth to medium-low. Prepare dinner rice for 15 minutes, then add lentils and prepare dinner for an additional 20 minutes, till rice and lentils are tender. Drain off any remaining liquid if wanted.
- Prepare dinner Greens: Whereas rice is cooking, warmth the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. When the pan is sizzling, add shallots and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Prepare dinner for 5-7 min, stirring sometimes till softened and golden-brown.
- Add garlic, thyme, kale and dried cranberries. Prepare dinner for 2-4 min, stirring usually, till kale is tender.
- Deglaze Pan: Add white wine or extra inventory. Prepare dinner for 1 min, stirring usually and scrapping the brown bits from the pan, till evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine Filling: Switch kale combination to a big bowl. When rice and lentils are cooked, take away bay leaf, then switch to the bowl with the kale.
- Make Dressing: To a small bowl, add oil, balsamic, maple syrup, dijon and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then whisk to mix. (Be aware: you possibly can additionally add dressing elements to a jar and shake rather well to mix.)
- Pour dressing over kale and rice combination. Add half the parsley. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to mix.
- Fill Squash: As soon as the squash is completed roasting, rigorously scrape a spoon down the “neck” of the squash, eradicating a few of the flesh, to create more room for the filling. Roughly mash the eliminated squash into the bowl with the rice combination. Spoon rice combination into squash halves. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds.
- Warmth Via: Return the squash to the oven for 5-7 min, to heat by way of.
- Make Salsa Verde: If you happen to’re making the optionally available salsa verde, add the shallots and vinegar to a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes to melt (this takes the sharp chew out of the shallots however is optionally available). Stir in the remainder of the elements till absolutely mixed.
- Serving: Switch squash to a platter. Sprinkle remaining parsley over prime and serve with the parsley salsa verde, if utilizing.
If you happen to can’t discover a big butternut squash, two smaller ones work!
To make forward: make the filling and squash the day earlier than serving. Assemble Half-hour earlier than serving and reheat within the oven at 350 F for 20-Half-hour till heated by way of. Leftover squash could be saved within the fridge in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. Reheat within the oven or microwave.
Vitamin information are estimated for 1 serving of 6 as a essential dish. I believe this might serve 8-10 for a aspect dish, relying on the dimensions of your squash. Sodium content material will range primarily based on inventory used and quantity of salt added. with out the broth and added salt, it’s 39 mg per serving.
- Serving Measurement: 1/6 of recipe
- Energy: 353
- Sugar: 14 g
- Fats: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 12 g
Key phrases: stuffed butternut squash, vegan stuffed butternut squash
#Stuffed #Butternut #Squash #Wild #Rice #Kale