This vegan lentil shepherd’s pie includes a hearty mushroom and lentil filling topped with creamy mashed potatoes.
Shepherd’s pie is the last word consolation meals and an exquisite vegetarian foremost dish to get pleasure from as a vacation entree or scrumptious meal any time of yr.
This recipe is excellent for feeding a crowd, leftovers retains nicely within the fridge and freezer and is able to get pleasure from in 1 hour.
Desk of Contents
In regards to the Recipe
Lentil shepherd’s pie gives a scrumptious plant-based twist on conventional cottage pie, certain to please the entire household.
For those who’ve by no means tried making shepherd’s pie, worry not; the method could appear difficult, but it surely’s surprisingly easy and makes use of easy, on a regular basis elements.
You’ll start by cooking the lentils till tender, then boiling and mashing the potatoes, and getting ready the remainder of the greens for the filling.
The savory lentil combination and creamy mashed potatoes are layered in a dish and baked till you’ve gotten a gravy-like filling with wealthy flavors topped with flippantly browned, crisp-on-top creamy mashed potatoes.
This dish makes a super addition to your vacation desk, particularly when you have vegan or vegetarian visitors. Full of fiber and protein from the lentils, it gives a wholesome different to the standard floor beef model.
- Mushrooms: You should utilize white mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, portobello or a mix of mushrooms.
- Recent Herbs: The recipe requires recent thyme and rosemary however in case you solely have dried herbs obtainable you should use 1 tsp every as an alternative of the recent herbs.
- Peas and Corn: You should utilize frozen peas and corn or drained and rinsed canned peas or corn.
- Lentils: This recipe is for inexperienced or brown lentils. Pink lentils will not be beneficial.
- Tamari: Substitute soy sauce or coconut aminos. You too can add a contact of vegan worcestershire sauce for further depth of taste.
- All Objective Flour: Substitute whole-wheat flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- Potatoes: Use yellow-fleshed potatoes like Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Almond Milk: Substitue any unsweetened plant-based milk.
The entire listing of elements with measurements is situated within the recipe card under.
- Candy Potato Shepherd’s Pie: Use candy potato as an alternative of potato, following the recipe as written in any other case.
- Butternut Squash Shepherd’s Pie: Use peeled and cubed butternut squash as an alternative potato. You too can do half butternut squash and half potato.
- Low-Carb Choice: You should utilize this mashed cauliflower as an alternative of mashed potatoes for the topping.
- Oil-Free Choice: Omit the oil from the mashed potatoes and use water or vegetable broth to saute the veggies.
- Gluten-Free Choice: Use gluten-free all function flour as an alternative of wheat flour.
- Walnuts: You may add 1/2 cup cup finely chopped walnuts once you add the mushrooms for extra texture within the lentil filling.
- Cheese: For a tacky topping, add as much as 1 cup vegan grated cheddar cheese to the mashed potatoes.
- Extra Veggies: Different veggies that may be added to the filling are diced carrots, inexperienced beans, cauliflower or spinach.
Step 1. Place the dried lentils in a medium pot on the stovetop with 3 cups of water. Cowl and prepare dinner for Quarter-hour at a light-weight simmer till the lentils are tender. Drain off any extra water and put aside.
Step 2. Add the peeled, chopped potatoes to a big pot of water and produce to a boil. Cook dinner for 10-Quarter-hour till the potatoes may be pierced with a fork.
Drain, add again within the pot and add the milk, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Use a masher or immersion blender to mash right into a clean texture.
Step 3: Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, celery and recent herbs to a big sauce pan or dutch oven on the stovetop with both 2 tbsp olive oil, broth or water.
Step 4: Add the flour and blend nicely to coat the veggies.
Step 5: Add the tomato paste, tamari and vegetable broth, stir nicely and produce to a simmer.
Step 6: Add the cooked lentils, peas and corn, combine and prepare dinner about 5 minutes till the sauce thickens barely.
Step 7: Add the lentil and vegetable combination to a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
Step 8: Unfold the mashed potatoes over the lentils then place the dish on a baking tray and bake for half-hour uncovered. Let cool briefly and serve.
Shepherd’s pie is sort of hearty so it may positively stand by itself with none facet dishes.
In any other case, function a vegetarian foremost dish alongside vacation sides like brussels sprouts and stuffing or pair with a gentle salad, steamed greens or a dinner roll.
It’s good with a some vegan mushroom gravy too!
Sure. Shepherd’s pie may be frozen earlier than or after baking. For those who’re assembling and freezing to bake later, cowl nicely with foil and freeze for as much as 2 months and bake from frozen. If it’s cooked and frozen, thaw in a single day within the fridge then reheat within the microwave or oven.
You may! For a variation on this dish, swap the potatoes for candy potato. The tactic is similar.
Fridge: Let cool then retailer in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days.
Freezer: Let cool then retailer in a freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Will be saved earlier than or after baking.
Reheating: If frozen, thaw in a single day within the fridge. Reheat within the oven or microwave till heated to your choice.
Did you do that recipe? I’d love to listen to about it! Click here to leave a review.
This vegan lentil shepherd’s pie is the last word plant-based consolation meals. Take pleasure in this hearty foremost dish in the course of the holidays or anytime of yr for a filling and satisfying meal.
For the Lentil Filling
- 3 cups finely chopped white or crimini mushrooms (225 g approx.)
- 1 medium onion, diced (175 g, 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or grated (15 g)
- 1 tbsp recent thyme, finely chopped (5 g) or 1 tsp dry
- 1 tbsp recent rosemary, finely chopped (5 g) or 1 tsp dry
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas (130 g)
- 1 cup frozen corn (130 g)
- 3 stalks celery chopped (150 g approx. 2 cup)
- 1 cup dry lentils (225 g or 2 cups cooked)
- 1/4 cup tamari (60 ml)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (28 g)
- 1 cup vegetable inventory
For the Potato Topping
- 4 giant yellow flesh potato, peeled and chopped (1175 g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (120 ml)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Cook dinner Lentils: In a medium pot place 1 cup of dried lentils with 3 cups of water, and a pinch of salt. Cook dinner for Quarter-hour over medium warmth till lentils are tender, as soon as cooked drain off the water and reserve the lentils for later.
- Cook dinner Potatoes: Put peeled potatoes in a big pot and canopy with water, deliver to a boil and prepare dinner till potatoes may be pierced with a fork.
- Mash Potatoes: As soon as cooked, drain and place the potatoes again within the pot. Add the olive oil, milk, salt and pepper. Utilizing a potato masher, mash potatoes till clean in texture.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Saute Veggies and Herbs: Over medium warmth, saute the chopped mushrooms, onions, garlic, celery, and recent herbs till smooth with 1 tbsp olive oil for roughly about 2-3 minutes.
- Add Flour: As soon as the greens are softened, sprinkle 2 tbsp of all function flour and stir collectively.
- Add Tomato Paste and Liquids: Add the tomato paste, tamari and vegetable inventory, stir nicely and produce to a simmer.
- Add Lentils, Corn and Peas: Combine within the cooked lentils together with the corn and peas. Style for seasoning and modify if wanted with salt and pepper. Cook dinner for 4-5 minnutes till the sauce thickens barely.
- Layer in Baking Dish: Place lentil combination right into a 9x13in baking dish and high with mashed potatoes. Clean till you’ve gotten a fair layer of mashed potatoes masking the lentils.
- Bake: Place the dish on a baking tray (prevents a large number in case of any spillage) and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes at 350 levels F. Optionally available: broil for 1-2 minutes on the finish to realize extra browning and crispiness on high.
- Cool Briefly: Let cool for 5-10 minutes earlier than serving. The longer it sits, the extra it would thicken.
Storing: Let cool then retailer in a sealed container for as much as 5 days within the fridge or 3 months within the freezer. If frozen, thaw in a single day within the fridge. Reheat within the oven or microwave till heated to your choice.
- Serving Dimension: 1/sixth of recipe
- Energy: 403
- Fats: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 72 g
- Protein: 13 g
Key phrases: lentil shepherds pie, vegan shepherds pie
#Vegan #Lentil #Shepherds #Pie #Working #Actual #Meals