Do that vegetarian butternut squash stuffing with apple, sourdough bread and sage for a scrumptious addition to your Thanksgiving meal.
In regards to the Recipe
When you’re trying to strive one thing new for the vacation season, how about roasted butternut squash stuffing for a twist on a traditional Thanksgiving aspect dish?
This recipe options conventional stuffing flavours like thyme, sage, herbs, apple, onion and celery with mushy however crispy-on-top sourdough bread. The roasted butternut squash provides a touch of sweetness that pairs nicely with the tart apple and contemporary herbs.
Not solely will this stuffing make your property odor superb, it’s positive to be a favorite a part of your Thanksgiving dinner or another vacation meal.
Serve your do-it-yourself stuffing with mains like stuffed butternut squash or chickpea loaf or extra holidays aspect dishes like healthy vegan mashed potatoes, green beans with onion and garlic, homemade vegan cranberry sauce, roasted golden beets, easy vegan mushroom gravy, wild rice salad and dijon roasted Brussels sprouts.
- Butternut Squash: You’ll want 1 small to medium-sized butternut squash or about 5-6 cups cubed. You should utilize frozen butternut squash cubes however I’d advocate utilizing contemporary. You may substitute one other number of squash or strive candy potato.
- Olive Oil: You should utilize olive oil or one other different cooking oil for roasting the squash.
- Bread: I like sourdough bread for you should utilize any French bread, Italian bread, brioche or challah bread or another form of crusty or rustic bread. In a pinch any bread works and you too can use gluten-free bread if wanted.
- Apple: Use a tart inexperienced apple selection resembling Granny Smith.
- Recent Sage: This stuffing actually shines with contemporary sage and thyme however you’ll be able to substitute 2 tsp dried sage and 1 tsp floor thyme for the contemporary herbs if wanted. For added herbs, you would possibly take pleasure in some rosemary or marjoram.
- Broth: Any vegetable broth you take pleasure in works. You should utilize carton broth, do-it-yourself vegetable broth or combine up some bouillon.
- Nuts: It’s optionally available to sprinkle the stuffing with chopped pecans or walnuts. I like pecans over walnuts however each work. They add a little bit of nutty taste and crunchy topping.
Please be aware the total ingredient record with measurements is positioned within the recipe card on the backside of the publish.
Variations & Additions
This recipe makes an ideal base for experimenting with different flavours. Listed below are some concepts to customise your stuffing:
- Leek: Attempt the identical quantity of leeks as an alternative to onions or strive a combination of each.
- Brussel Sprouts: Roast 1-2 cups quartered Brussels sprouts with the squash.
- Squash Wild Rice Stuffing: Add as much as 1 cup cooked wild rice or a wild rice mix.
- Squash Quinoa Stuffing: Add as much as 1 cup cooked quinoa.
- Squash Lentil Stuffing: Add as much as 1 cup cooked lentils.
- Cranberry Stuffing: Add as much as 1 cup dried cranberries once you combine all the things collectively earlier than going within the oven.
- Wild Mushroom Stuffing: Add a wide range of 1-2 cups thinly sliced wild mushrooms with the onions.
- For traditional stuffing do this easy vegan stuffing recipe.
Step 1: Put together the sourdough bread.
You’ve gotten two choices for getting ready the bread in your stuffing. Dice the bread after which:
- Unfold it out on a baking sheet and go away it out in a single day, uncovered, to dry it out.
- Unfold it a single layer a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes at 300 F till flippantly crisp and somewhat golden. Watch out to not burn it!
Fast Observe: Don’t skip this step or your stuffing might be mushy as a consequence of soggy bread.
Bread that’s been disregarded uncovered for a day is right, although if you happen to haven’t ready upfront, the oven methodology works nicely. You need the bread to be a bit onerous and crunchy.
Step 2: Roast the butternut squash.
Preheat the oven to 400 F and begin getting ready the butternut squash. To organize the squash:
- Reduce the stems off the highest and backside so it’s flat on both finish then peel the squash.
- Reduce it in half crosswise so you might have the highest half and backside half then reduce every bit in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the pulp and seeds out of the underside half.
- Dice the squash.
The recipe calls for five cups of cubed squash which is roughly a small to medium-sized squash. You should utilize a bit roughly if you happen to like. The quantity doesn’t should be actual.
Add the cubed squash to a baking sheet and toss with 2 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and roast it for 25-Half-hour till tender and browned.
Step 3: Saute the aromatics.
As soon as the squash is within the oven, chop your onion, celery, apple, garlic and contemporary herbs.
Soften the butter in a big heavy backside pot or skillet over medium warmth. As soon as the butter is melted, add the onion, garlic, celery and apple and cook dinner these for 7-8 minutes till they’re softened.
Add the contemporary sage and thyme and cook dinner for one more 1-2 minutes.
Fast Observe: You probably have a Dutch oven, you should utilize that to saute as will probably be sufficiently big to combine the stuffing in.
When you should not have a big pot, you should utilize any pan to saute then switch all the things to a mixing bowl to combine the stuffing in step 4.
Step 4: Combine the stuffing.
You may both combine the stuffing up within the pot if it’s massive sufficient or switch all the things to a big mixing bowl to mix.
Mix the roasted butternut squash, bread and vegetable combination, together with 1.5 cups of the broth and blend nicely.
Style and season with extra salt and pepper. Observe that some vegan butters and vegetable shares are saltier than others, so style and season as you proceed by the recipe.
After you’ve combined it up, assess the quantity of broth wanted. The stuffing needs to be utterly moistened however not soaking or soggy. We’re going so as to add extra broth within the ultimate step earlier than baking.
Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish then switch the stuffing combination. Drizzle with extra broth and sprinkle with the pecans, if you happen to’re including them.
Step 5: Bake the stuffing.
Cowl the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes then take away the foil and bake for one more 20-25 minutes till the golden brown and crispy on prime.
Sure. When you’d like so as to add sausage to this recipe, brown as much as 1.5 cups floor plant-based meat resembling Past or sliced Italian sausage in a skillet over medium warmth earlier than including the onion.
As soon as cooked by and browned, add the onions, and so forth. and proceed with the recipe.
Sure. You should utilize any number of squash resembling acorn squash, pumpkin or delicata squash.
Sure, you should utilize frozen butternut squash cubes. Thaw them absolutely earlier than roasting.
Sure. The stuffing will maintain nicely within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let cool then wrap tightly to keep away from freezer burn. Thaw the stuffing within the fridge or at room temperature after which reheat at 350 F, coated with aluminum foil till sizzling.
Retailer leftover squash stuffing within the fridge for as much as 4 days. It may be saved wrapped within the casserole dish or transfered to an hermetic container.
Reheat stuffing within the microwave in particular person parts or within the oven at 350 F for about 10 minutes till heated by.
Ideas for Making Forward
- You may dry out the bread 1-2 days forward. If the bread is prepared however you’re not able to cook dinner but, retailer the bread in a sealed bag or container till you’re prepared.
- You may cook dinner the onion combination 1-2 days and advance and retailer it within the fridge.
- You may bake the stuffing forward of time, cowl with foil then reheat within the oven at 350 F for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than serving.
- You may assemble all the casserole, up till the purpose of baking, then cowl and place in your fridge tightly coated for 1-2 days. Take away from fridge 45 minutes earlier than baking (to return to room temperature).
Did you do this recipe?
I’d love to listen to about it! Click here to leave a review and make sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you happen to publish it on social media.
Tender roasted butternut squash is the proper addition to this twist on conventional Thanksgiving stuffing. Paired with sourdough bread, apple and contemporary herbs, this scrumptious stuffing makes a beautiful addition to vacation meals.
- 5 cups cubed butternut squash (743 g)
- 2 tsp oil (10 mL)
- 8–9 cups cubed sourdough bread (375 g)
- ¼ cup vegan butter (60 g)
- 1 massive white onion, chopped (2 cups, 250 g)
- 3–4 celery stalks, chopped (about 2 cups, 235 g)
- 1 small tart apple, like granny smith, diced (1 ¼ cups, 150 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp contemporary sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp contemporary thyme, stemmed and chopped (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2–3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (750 mL)
- ¼ cup pecans, optionally available (30 g)
- salt and pepper
- Prep the bread: The day earlier than you make the stuffing, place the bread cubes on a sheet pan and go away them out in a single day, uncovered, to dry out. Alternately, you’ll be able to place them on a sheet pan and bake at 300 F for about 10-Quarter-hour, till bread cubes are dry on the floor, however nonetheless mushy within the middle.
- Put together: Preheat oven to 400 F and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Roast Squash: Switch the cubed squash to a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Roast the squash on the center rack of the oven for 25-30 min, stirring midway by, till tender and golden-brown.
- Saute Aromatics: In the meantime, in a big, deep skillet, soften butter over medium warmth. When the butter is melted, add onion, celery, apple and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Some vegan butters and vegetable shares are saltier than others, so ensure to season and style as you go. Prepare dinner for 8-10 min, stirring often, till onions are tender.
- Add Recent Herbs: Add sage and thyme. Prepare dinner for 1-2 min, stirring usually, till aromatic.
- Combine Stuffing: Add the dried bread, parsley, onion combination and roasted squash to a big bowl or add all the things to the cooking pot if it’s massive sufficient. Add 1.5 cups of the vegetable broth. Combine nicely. Style and season with salt and pepper if wanted. Assess the quantity of broth wanted. The stuffing needs to be utterly moistened however not soaking or soggy. I used 2 cups of broth on this step and one other 1/2 cup over prime earlier than baking.
- Switch to Baking Dish: Switch the stuffing to the ready baking dish, spreading out in a good layer. Drizzle with further broth. Sprinkle with pecans if utilizing. Cowl the baking dish with foil.
- Bake Stuffing: Scale back the oven warmth to 350 F. Bake coated for 25 min. Uncover and bake for one more 25-30 min, till prime turns into golden-brown and flippantly crisped.
To make forward you’ll be able to dry out the bread 1-2 days forward. Retailer the bread in a sealed bag or container till you’re prepared. You may cook dinner the onion combination 1-2 days and advance and retailer it within the fridge. You may bake the stuffing forward of time, cowl with foil then reheat within the oven at 350 F for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than serving. You may assemble all the casserole, up till the purpose of baking, then cowl and place in your fridge tightly coated for 1-2 days. Take away from fridge 45 minutes earlier than baking (to return to room temperature).
Leftover stuffing will maintain in an hermetic container or tightly wrapped within the casserole dish for as much as 4 days within the fridge. Reheat within the oven for a crisp texture or within the microwave if you happen to don’t thoughts it being softer.
- Serving Measurement: 1/eighth of recipe
- Energy: 223
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 548 mg
- Fats: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g
Key phrases: butternut squash stuffing
#Butternut #Squash #Stuffing #Recipe #Operating #Actual #Meals