This butternut squash mac and cheese is made with a roasted butternut squash cheese sauce that’s blended till clean and a simple breadcrumb topping for additional crunch. Bake all of it in a casserole dish and serve!
You guys know we’re cheese lovers (Hey, sister web site Cheese Knees!). Effectively, we’re additionally butternut squash lovers which is why this butternut squash mac and cheese was a no brainer for Match Foodie Finds!
When testing this recipe, we tried it with steamed butternut squash and roasted butternut squash, and roasted was hands-down extra flavorful. The addition of garlic and onion is important for that daring, hearty taste you like.
Components Wanted for Baked Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
This butternut squash mac and cheese comes along with easy complete elements in three separate parts — the sauce, the pasta, and the breadcrumb topping.
- Sauce: the butternut squash cheese sauce is made with roasted butternut squash, onion, and garlic. It’s blended with 2% milk, pasta water, and shredded cheese.
- Breadcrumb topping: This can be a easy bread crumb topping with savory flavors that complement the flavour of the sauce and the sage-infused pasta. You want plain bread crumbs, and a few spices.
- Pasta: This pasta is cooked to al dente in a mixture of broth and water + sage and floor cloves, all of which infuse into the pasta noodles themselves for insanely superb taste.
Straightforward Substitutions + Variations
- Pasta: We love how enjoyable cavatappi noodles are on this butternut squash mac and cheese! Rigatoni, fusilli or penne can be nice choices as properly.
- Cheese: actually any form of shredded cheese works for this recipe, however we do suggest utilizing at the least half shredded cheddar. Be at liberty to attempt Gryeure or Colby Jack.
- Swap the Butternut Squash: be at liberty to make use of one other squash-like vegetable similar to pumpkin or candy potato as an alternative of the butternut squash. You’ll nonetheless get that candy and savory combo with these two choices.
- Add a protein: we’ve made this recipe by including some cooked shredded chicken and it was a unbelievable approach so as to add extra protein.
Retailer this butternut squash mac and cheese in an air-tight container within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days.
Reheating Mac and Cheese
The important thing to reheating mac and cheese is so as to add slightly moisture (milk works nice!) because the noodles proceed to soak up moisture even after they’re initially cooked, and to reheat low and gradual to keep away from the cheese breaking down and altering texture.
Reheat within the oven
When you have time to reheat your butternut squash mac and cheese within the oven, that may be a nice methodology! Merely add slightly milk (begin with a tablespoon, and go up from there relying on how a lot mac you’re reheating!), and stir completely earlier than overlaying an oven-safe dish and putting within the oven at 350°F.
You’ll want 10-20 minutes of reheating time, relying on how a lot mac you’re reheating.
Learn how to Serve Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
This mac and cheese is the right Thanksgiving or vacation aspect dish. You possibly can eat it as a foremost meal or serve it as a aspect. In the event you’re on the lookout for a protein, attempt our pan-fried chicken breast or sous vide steak.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Recipe
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese combines basic mac and cheese with roasted butternut squash and garlic to make for the final word candy and savory mac and cheese.
Prepare dinner:45 minutes
Complete:1 hour 5 minutes
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Sauce
- ½ massive butternut squash seeded and chopped into fourths (yields ~3 cups butternut squash puree)
- ¾ teaspoon salt separated
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon floor pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil separated
- ½ massive white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups pasta water relying on how a lot you want
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, and pepper right into a small bowl. Put aside.
Place the butternut squash on the baking sheet and drizzle the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with the spices. Rub the olive oil and spices into the butternut squash. Then, transfer the squash to 1 aspect of th baking sheet.
Place the white onion and the garlic cloves on the opposite aspect of the baking sheet. Drizzle with the opposite tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt.
Place the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Then, take away the garlic and onions in order that they don’t burn and flip the butternut squash over. Roast for an additional 20-Half-hour or till the butternut squash is fork-tender.
Put together the pasta whereas the butternut squash is baking. Add the broth, water, sage leaves, salt, and cloves to a big pot. Deliver to a boil. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook dinner till just a bit below al dente (it’s going to proceed to cook dinner within the oven).
Take away 2 cups of the pasta water (discarding the sage leaves) from the pot and put aside. Then, pressure the pasta from the water and rinse the noodles with chilly water. Put aside.
Put together the breadcrumb topping. Warmth a small skillet pan over medium warmth and add all the bread crumb topping elements to the skillet and blend the elements collectively. Toast the bread crumbs till golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Take away from warmth and put aside.
Take away the butternut squash from the oven when it’s fork tender. Use a spoon to fastidiously peel the pores and skin off the butternut squash (it ought to come off simply).
Place the butternut squash, onion, garlic, and 1 cup of the pasta water right into a excessive pace blender and mix till clean. Add the cheddar cheese to the blender and mix till melted and mixed. Subsequent, add the Italian cheese mix to the blender and mix till clean and melted. Lastly, add the two% milk to the blender and mix till thick and creamy. In case your sauce is just too thick, you’ll be able to add extra pasta water by the tablespoon.
Flip the oven to broil and spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
Add the noodles to the casserole dish and pour the butternut squash cheese sauce over the noodles and blend till mixed. Sprinkle the bread crumb topping over the pasta. You need to use all of it or as a lot as you desire to. Place the casserole dish into the oven.
Broil the mac and cheese till the highest is golden brown (2-3 minutes).
Take away from the oven and garnish with freshly chopped sage leaves.
Suggestions & Notes
- You take away the onions midway by means of the cook dinner time to make sure the onions don’t burn.
- In case your sauce is just too thick, you’ll be able to add extra pasta water by the tablespoon.
Energy: 445kcal Carbohydrates: 55g Protein: 20g Fats: 18g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 8g
#Butternut #Squash #Mac #Cheese